LH001791: 'The Round House'
The Round House was erected in 1830/1831 to designs by H Reveley. The Whalers' Tunnel was excavated in 1837. The original steps were built in 1836, level with High Street. Two years later they were rebuilt to straddle the portal to the tunnel. On the left is the Harbour Master's house (c1890s-1928) and on the right is a glimpse of the Pilot's cottage (c1904). Date of work: c1916.