Strictly necessary cookies(always on):
Necessary for enabling core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies. This cannot be turned off. e.g. Sign in, Language
Analytical cookies help us to analyse user behaviour, mainly to see if the users are able to find and act on things that they are looking for. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. Tools used: Google Analytics
Social media cookies:
We use social media cookies from Facebook, Twitter and Google to run Widgets, Embed Videos, Posts, Comments and to fetch profile information.
The Round House was erected 1830-1831. The original steps were built by 1836 and re-built in 1838 to straddle the entrance to the Whalers Tunnel. They were truncated in 1966 when the railway line was constructed. At the left is a part of the Harbour Master's house (c1880s-1928) and on the right is Pilot's Cottage Number 9, re-erected c1904. It was originally built as part of the light house compound to house port workers. Credit: Arthur Saxon