Cycling event on Fremantle Oval
The cycle track, constructed from Trinidad asphalt, was laid in 1898 and removed in the 1960s. The Victoria Pavilion, in the centre background, was designed by F W Burwell, who won a prize for the design. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Gerard Smith on 25 June 1897 and the pavilion was opened by Sir John Forrest on 6 November 1897.