Proposed changes approved
Council was provided with an update and proposed changes to Hampton Rd / Lloyd Street at their meeting on 27 February 2019 and approved the proposed changes to improve the entry and exit point to the South Fremantle shopping centre carpark on Lloyd Street. You can view the minutes by clicking here.
The key modifications proposed are:
- Extend the right turn pocket on Hampton Road into Lloyd Street to increase queuing capacity.
- Formalise the two lane approach for Lloyd Street onto Hampton Road to create two designated lanes and create more queuing space. This separates drivers wishing to enter the shopping centre carpark or turn left onto Hampton Road and drivers turning right onto Hampton Road.
- Formalise the on-street parking area on Lloyd Street. This protects the parking bays from Lloyd Street through traffic as well as providing a convenient parking option for customers visiting the shopping centre.
- Relocate the existing informal pedestrian crossing facility, 10m north on Hampton Road, in order to extend the turning pocket. This would align the crossing point with a pedestrian pathway within the shopping centre carpark. The median will also be widened to improve the pedestrian refuge area within Hampton Road.
Council also amended the resolution to:
- include improving pedestrian access from the footpath on Lloyd Street through to the shopping centre carpark
- improve sight lines to the west for vehicles entering and exiting the carpark, and
- request Main Roads WA consider installing 'keep clear' road markings on Lloyd Street at the entrance of the shopping centre carpark.